// Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Banner Image

Peer Tutoring

Frequently Asked Questions

 APPLICATIONS: "How do I qualify to become a Peer Tutor? What do I need to submit?"

  • You need to have a minimum grade of 80% in the course you would like to tutor and/or a professor’s recommendation, as well as a minimum of 75% overall average.
  • A strong desire to help students succeed and a commitment of your time to help the students who are assigned to you.
  • Excellent communication skills.
  • Fill out a Tutor’s Application on getinvolved.niagaracollege.ca

APPOINTMENT NOTIFICATIONS: "Once hired, how will I be notified that someone needs to be tutored?"

  • You will be notified via Niagara College email as soon as an appointment is made by a learner in WCONLINE. Please look for messages that will have a subject line, “Niagara College Peer Tutoring: Appointment made successfully”.
  • Review the appointment details and ensure the Tutor request matches your approved subject area.
  • Please note: some notifications are going directly to junk mail/spam; do not rely on your inbox for messages. Tutors are required to check other folders/junk mail for notifications until the issue is resolved.

APPLY EACH TERM: "I have been a Peer Tutor before; do I have to fill out the application again?"

  • Tutors need to apply each term and receive approval before tutoring can begin.

CONTACTS: "Who should I contact if I have any questions about the Peer Tutoring program?"

A Peer Tutoring Coordinator is available at each campus to answer questions between 8:30am - 3:00pm.

  • Sam Mehta @ Daniel J. Patterson Campus in Niagara on the Lake: Tuesday to Friday
  • Gonul Turkdogan @ Welland Campus: Monday to Thursday

Contact information for the Peer Tutoring Coordinators can be found here.

HOURS: "What is the maximum amount of hours that I can tutor?"

  • Each Tutor is allowed to work up to a maximum of 12 hours per week. Tutors will only be paid for those hours booked by a learner rather than all time slots entered into the online schedule.
  • Please note: Maximum hours refers to the total hours worked for all campus jobs.

NO-SHOWS: "Do I get paid if my learner doesn’t show up?"

  • Learners are required to cancel appointments online at least 3 hours in advance of a scheduled appointment.
  • If a learner misses an appointment, you will be compensated for your time. Please notify the Peer tutoring Coordinator via email with details of any missed appointments.
  • If learners repeatedly miss appointments without prior notification, their tutoring privileges will be suspended.

MEETING LOCATION: "Can I meet a learner in person for an appointment?"

  • Appointments may be conducted on campus or online depending on learner/tutor preferences.

PAYMENTS: "How do I get paid?"

  • Submit either a void cheque, or Direct Deposit form. A Direct deposit form can be picked up at your local bank branch.
  • To receive payment for Tutoring hours, a Client Report Form must be submitted immediately after each session.
  • Payments will be deposited bi-weekly according to the pay schedule.

REFERRALS: "The Learner is expressing frustration and anxiety regarding his/her course/program. What can I do as the Peer Tutor to help?"

Tutors can help by referring the Learners to the following support services:

  • The respective Peer Tutoring Coordinator
  • The respective Academic Advisor for the program
  • Counselling Services

SOCIAL INSURANCE NUMBERS: "I am an International Student and I do not have a Social Insurance Number (SIN). How do I get one?"

Please inquire online or in person at one of the local Service Canada Centres (note: some locations may be temporarily closed).

  • 6080 McLeod Road, Niagara Falls, ON L2G 7T4
  • 395 Ontario Street, St. Catharines, ON L2N 7N6
  • 250 Thorold Road West, Welland, ON L3C 3W1

International students must present a study permit issued by CIC that states the permit holder “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada.

Privacy information

Staff Libraryh3lp Login