Institute of Brewing and Distilling
The Institute of Brewing & Distilling (IBD) originated as the Laboratory Club in London in 1886, when a group of talented scientific researchers in the fields of biology and chemistry agreed to meet and discuss scientific issues relating to malting and brewing. The Transactions of the Laboratory Club was published in that year and was subsequently re-titled The Journal of the Institute of Brewing (the same year the Laboratory Club became the Institute of Brewing) which continues to publish papers on scientific research related to fermentation, beer quality, distilling, malting, and cereal sciences in four issues annually. In 2001 the Institute of Brewing merged with the International Brewers’ Guild, a long-established body representing mainly professional brewers in the United Kingdom, to form the Institute and Guild of Brewing. This body was superseded in 2005 by the IBD to reflect the increasing importance of the distilling industries in the activities of the Institute.